Faculty Profile for Dr. Michael O'Malley
Biography and EducationMichael P. O’Malley is Dean of the College of Education and Professor of Educational and Community Leadership at Texas State University. He served as a Fulbright Scholar in Chile and continues to lead collaborative educational and research exchanges with Chilean universities and NGO’s. O'Malley's research interests include public pedagogies of social transformation and leadership for educational equity, and he takes up questions in these areas through the perspectives of poststructural, curriculum, and queer theories. O'Malley serves as Associate Director of Publications for the University Council for Educational Administration, President of the Texas Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, as an inaugural member of Austin ISD's Equity Advisory Committee, and has been appointed Honorary Professor of International Studies. He is a former secondary school teacher and principal, and earned a Doctor of Education in Interdisciplinary Educational Leadership from Saint Joseph's University in 2003.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- O’Malley, M. P., Sandlin, J. A., & Burdick, J. (2020). Public pedagogy theories, methodologies, and ethics. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Education, 1–26. https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190264093.013.1131
- O’Malley, M. P., & Long, T. A. (2017). Public educational policy as performance: A queer analysis. In M. D. Young & S. Diem (Eds.), Critical approaches to education policy analysis: Moving beyond tradition (pp. 63–82). New York, NY: Springer.
- O’Malley, M. P., & Capper, C. A. (2015). A measure of the quality of educational leadership programs for social justice: Integrating LGBTIQ identities into principal preparation. Educational Administration Quarterly, 51(2), 290–330. https://doi.org/DOI:10.1177/0013161X14532468
- O’Malley, M. P., & Nelson, S. W. (2013). The public pedagogy of student activists in Chile: What have we learned from the Penguins’ Revolution? Journal of Curriculum Theorizing, 29(2), 41–56. Retrieved from http://journal.jctonline.org/index.php/jct/article/view/472
- Sandlin, J. A., O’Malley, M. P., & Burdick, J. (2011). Mapping the complexities of public pedagogy scholarship: 1894-2010. Review of Educational Research, 81(3), 338–375. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654311413395
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honorary Professor of International Studies, Texas State University. April 2017 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award in Teaching, Associate Professor/Full Professor Category, College of Education, Texas State University. 2012
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award in Scholarship, Associate Professor/Professor Category, Texas State University. 2012
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of the Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. September 2013 - December 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award in Scholarship, Assistant Professor/Lecturer Category, Texas State University. 2011
- Negrete Lagos, B C (Principal), Lara Morales, P R, Gainer, Jesse S (Co-Principal), Lopez, Minda Morren (Co-Principal), Colegrove, Kiyomi Sanchez-Suzuki, O'Malley, Michael P. Migration, Inclusion & Diversity in Texan and Chilean K-12 Schools and Local Communities: MID Texas-Chile Project, 100,000 Strong in the Americas Innovation Fund Grant, public-private sector collaboration between the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Embassies, Partners of the Americas, NAFSA, corporations, and foundations working together to stimulate new higher education partnerships between the United States and the rest of the Western Hemisphere., $24300. (Submitted: June 2018, Funded: November 2018 - October 2019). Grant.
- O'Malley, Michael P (Principal). Leadership and educational action resource network: Building an educational research and improvement partnership in Chile, Embassy of the United State of America: Santiago de Chile, Federal, $10000. (Funded: July 1, 2015 - September 25, 2015). Grant.
- O'Malley, Michael P (Principal), Long, Tanya A (Co-Principal). Leadership and Education Action Resource Network: Binational Graduate Student Collaboration for Educational Improvement in Chile (Project LEARN-Chile), 100,000 Strong in the Americas, Federal, $25000. (Funded: May 1, 2015 - April 30, 2016). Grant.
- O'Malley, Michael P (Principal), Walker, H. (Co-Principal). Chilean-US bilateral partnership to advance the quality of doctoral education in fields of educational research, Embassy of the United States, Santiago de Chile, Federal, $10400. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- O'Malley, Michael P (Principal). School improvement through quality educational leadership preparation; Understanding the role of school administrators in achieving InglÌés Abre Puertas goals, Fulbright Core Scholar Award, Fulbright, Council for International Exchange of Scholars, Federal, $20900. (Funded: August 1, 2012 - January 10, 2013). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Texas Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
Equity Advisory Committee, Austin Independent School District
Associate Director of Publications
University Council for Educational Administration (UCEA)
Search Committee for the Inaugural Vice President for Institutional Inclusive Excellence
September 2021-March 2022
Presidential Task Force for LGBTIQA+ Inclusion
January 2020-March 2020