Faculty Profile for Dr. Ann Brooks
Biography and EducationAnn Brooks earned a doctorate in Adult and Higher Education at Columbia University Teachers College. She was formerly a Professor of Education and an Honorary Professor of Women and Gender Studies at the University of Texas at Austin and is currently a Professor of Education and Honorary Professor of International Studies at Texas State University. She has worked in education in Cambodia as a Fulbright scholar, Papua New Guinea, Japan, China as an exchange scholar, Mexico, Colombia, and New Zealand as a visiting professor.
Research InterestsLearning in contexts of personal, social, and/or ecological disruption; adult learning and complexity; the link between individual learning and organizational or social change.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Brooks, A., Martin, M., & Holcomb, M. (n.d.). Reconstituting Identity in the Wake of Disaster: “The Dark Night of the Soul.”
- Brooks-Ames, R., & Brooks, A. (n.d.). Pragmatism versus Idealism: Opposing “Minds” and Misunderstanding in Processes of Transformation.
- Cantu, R., & Brooks, A. (n.d.). The Influence of Neoliberalism and New Managerialism On ESL Programming and Instruction in Community Colleges. In Convictions of Conscience: Voices from the Margins, Public Actions, and Educational Leadership.
- Ly, M., & Brooks, A. (n.d.). Comparing CSL in Cambodia and the U.S.
- Brooks, A. K., & Anumudu, C. (2016). Identity Development in Personal Branding Instruction: Social Narratives and Online Brand Management in a Global Economy. Adult Learning, 27(1), 23–29.
- Award / Honor Nominee: Nominated for Outstanding Career Achievement Award in Women & Gender Studies, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: College of Education Dean Nominee for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities. 2010
- Award / Honor Recipient: Cutting Edge Award of 2009, Academy of Human Resource Development. 2009
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Research of 2007, Human Resource Development Quarterly, awarded at the Academy of Human Resource Development 2008. 2008
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fulbright Research and Lecturing Award, Cambodia: Faculty and Institutional Capacity Building in a Publicly Funded University. 2008
- Brooks, Ann. “Cultural Dimensions of Learning” Course, $1800. (Funded: 2003). Grant.
- Brooks, Ann (Principal). Durham Transportation Research Grant, “High Attrition of Women in Non-traditional Jobs”, $4600. (Funded: 1994). Grant.
- Brooks, Ann (Principal). Lockheed Corporation Research Grant, Lockheed Corporation, “The Compression of Time in Intentional Organizational Change Efforts, $1500. (Funded: 1993). Grant.
- Brooks, Ann. Awarded Summer Research Grant, University Research Institute, University of Texas. (Funded: 1992). Grant.
- Brooks, Ann (Co-Principal). Texas Education Association Grant, “Effective Border Schools, Other, $406000. (Funded: 1994 - 1995). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Member Board of Directors
American Association of Adult and Continuing Education
November 1, 2017-Present
January 1, 2017-Present
Reviewer / Referee
Penn State University-Harrisburg
Director; 300 members
Commission of Professors of Adult Education
Editorial Review Board Member
Adult Education Quarterly