Faculty Profile for Carla J Ackerson
Biography and EducationMs. Carla J. Ackerson, LMSW, has served as a Clinical Lecturer at Texas State School of Social Work since 2013 and previously served as a Clinical Lecturer at Texas A&M University-Commerce. She was the Executive Director of Communities In Schools of Northeast Texas for 14 years and brings a wealth of experience in organizational management, political advocacy, grant writing, community organization, and supervision and administration. Ms. Ackerson has served on several community boards including 9 years as a school board member for Winnsboro ISD and a member and past president of the Child Advocacy Center of Northeast Texas. Ms. Ackerson is currently a doctoral student at Texas A&M University-Commerce, completing her dissertation on Academic Entitlement. She teaches both on campus and online at the graduate and undergraduate level.
Teaching InterestsMacro practice, policy, program development, resource development, school social work
Research InterestsAcademic entitlement, school social work, political advocacy
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Ackerson, C. J. (2010). [Review of Tell Me About Your God!, by R. J. McMillan]. Twin Spirits Publishing.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Service, College of Applied Arts. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas A&M University – Commerce; Distinguished Doctoral Student Spring. 2010
- Ackerson, Carla J (Principal). Learning Communities Grant, College of Applied Arts, Texas State University, $10000.00. (Submitted: August 2018, Funded: September 2018 - May 2019). Grant.
- Ackerson, Carla J. Mentoring Children of Promise, $114000. (Funded: 2006 - 2009). Grant.
- Ackerson, Carla J. 21st Century Community Learning Center, State, $300000. (Funded: 2004 - 2008). Grant.
- Ackerson, Carla J. GEAR UP, Federal, $250000. (Funded: 2002 - 2007). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Court Appointed Special Advocate
Student Services Sub-committee Distance & Extended Learning
Distance and Extended Learning Steering Committee
Non-Tenure Line Faculty Committee