Faculty Profile for Dr. Raphael Travis Jr.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Travis, R., Rodwin, A. H., & Allcorn, A. V. (2018). Hip Hop, Empowerment, and Clinical Practice for Homeless Adults with Severe Mental Illness. Social Work with Groups, 0(0), 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1080/01609513.2018.1486776
- Travis, R., & Childs, J. (2018). Why the Ed in #HipHopEd Is Not Enough: How Social Workers & Educators Can Change the Game. In #HipHopEd: The Compilation on Hip-hop Education: Volume 1: Hip-hop as Education, Philosophy, and Practice (pp. 158–169). BRILL.
- Travis, R. (2018). Therapeutic Applications of Hip Hop with US Homeless Adults with Severe Mental Illness. In Art in Social Work Practice: Theory and Practice: International Perspectives (pp. 170–180). London, UK: Routledge. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315144245
- Travis, R., & Ausbrooks, A. R. (2017). Information communication technology (ICT) and social work: Moving social work education and practice into the 21st century. Journal of Continuing Social Work Education, 20(2), 25–35.
- Travis, R. (2017). All Awareness and No Action: Can Social Work Leverage Creative Arts’ Potential? https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1177/1049731517735178
- Award / Honor Recipient: Early Career Scholar (Academia/Research) Scholars Network on Black Masculinity, Dr. Alford Young, Jr., University of Michigan. 2010 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi National College Honor Society Favorite Professor Award. 2012
- Award / Honor Recipient: Afterschool Champion, Member At-Large (Award) Central Texas Afterschool Network. 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honors Program Academic Course Selection Course Title: Hip-Hop Culture and Positive Youth Development Texas State University Honors Program. 2010
- Award / Honor Recipient: Faculty Fellow (Award), Texas State University Faculty Fellows Program (for Service-Learning). 2009 - 2010
- Travis, Raphael. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Publication Support Award, $2970. (Funded: 2011). Grant.
- Travis, Raphael. Texas State University Library Research Grant, $3000. (Funded: 2010). Grant.
- Travis, Raphael. Texas State University Texas State University Library Research Grant, $3000. (Funded: 2007). Grant.
- Travis, Raphael, Cordero, Ray (Co-Principal). STEM + Arts Supplemental Grant, U.S. Department of Education, Federal, $40000. (Submitted: July 2018, Funded: September 2018 - August 2019). Grant.
- Travis, Raphael, Cordero, Ray (Co-Principal). STEM + Arts Supplemental Grant, Department of Education, Federal, $40000. (Submitted: July 2018, Funded: September 2018 - August 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities
Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching Committee
Roundtable on Social Work and the Arts
Reviewer / Referee
Bachelor of Social Work Committee