Faculty Profile for Dr. Brian L Withrow
Teaching InterestsResearch Methods, Statistics, Policing Practices, Administration
Research InterestsPolice officer decision making, Racial profiling
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Withrow, B. L. (n.d.). Public Access to Criminal History Records: Enhancing Public Safety. Austin, Texas, USA: Texas Freedom of Information Foundation.
- Withrow, B. L. (n.d.). Police Stops in San Antonio Texas (p. 30). San Antonio, Texas, USA: City of San Antonio.
- Withrow, B. L. (2017). [Review of Race, Place, and Suburban Policing: Too Close for Comfort, by A. S. Boyles]. Criminal Justice Review. University of California Press.
- Withrow, B. L. (2017). Research Methods in Crime and Justice. New York, NY: Routledge/Taylor and Francis Publishing.
- Smith, M. R., Rojek, J. J., Petrocelli, M., & Withrow, B. L. (2017). Measuring disparities in police activities: A state of the art review. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies and Management, 40(2), 166–183.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Distinguished Alumni Award for the Masters of Public Administration Program, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: Nominated for Academy for Effective Teaching Award, Wichita State University. 1999 - 2009
- Award / Honor Nominee: Finalist for Academy for Effective Teaching Award, Wichita State University. 2008
- Award / Honor Nominee: Finalist for Academy for Effective Teaching Award, Wichita State University. 2004
- Award / Honor Nominee: Finalist for Community Research Award, Wichita State University. 2004
- Withrow, Brian L (Co-Principal), Cancino, Jeffrey M.. San Antonio Police Department Racial Profiling Analysis, City of San Antonio, Texas, $25000. (Funded: 2009). Grant.
- Withrow, Brian L (Principal). Kansas Crime Analysis Consortium Demonstration Project, United States Attorney for the District of Kansas and Kansas Attorney General’s Office, $67000. (Funded: 2006). Grant.
- Withrow, Brian L (Principal). Police Protective Custody Project, Wichita Children’s Home, $8000. (Funded: 2003). Grant.
- Withrow, Brian L (Principal). Mental Illness and Criminal Justice, Mrs. Barbara Torbey (private citizen), $5000. (Funded: 2000). Grant.
- Withrow, Brian L (Co-Principal). Law Enforcement Officer Training for the Identification of Elder Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation, Kansas Department of Aging, $5956. (Funded: 2000). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Distance Learning Steering Committee
March 1, 2018-Present
Remote Faculty Teaching Committee (Ad Hoc)
November 15, 2017-Present
North Barber County Board of Education
September 8, 2017-Present
Boy Scouts of America
September 1, 2017-Present
MSCJ Online Program Development Committee
January 1, 2017-Present