Faculty Profile for Hannah Thornton
Biography and EducationHannah Thornton is a Senior Lecturer and Director of the Dietetic Internship in the Nutrition and Foods Program of the School of Family and Consumer Sciences. She completed a Bachelor of Arts in Biology at Smith College in Northampton, MA, a Master of Science in Biology at Florida International University in Miami, FL, and a Master of Science in Nutrition as well as the Dietetic Internship at Texas State. She currently co-directs the Food Security Learning Community, the group responsible for launching and maintaining Bobcat Bounty, the first student-run food pantry on Texas State campus. In 2018, she received a Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Service. In 2016, she received a Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Teaching, and was named runner up for Texas State’s Award for Excellence in Online Teaching. She has completed the Multicultural Curriculum Transformation & Research Institute at Texas State and transformed the Nutrition Assessment course in the dietetics program into a multicultural course. In addition to her work at Texas State, she maintains a private dietetics practice specializing in pregnancy and pediatric nutrition.
Teaching InterestsActive learning, project-based learning, cultural humility
Research InterestsDietetics education, nutrition for pregnancy, pediatric nutrition, food security
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Thornton, H., & Biediger-Friedman, L. M. (2018). Dietetic Internship as Learning Community: A Project-Based Approach to Community Nutrition Education in Dietetics. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 50(7, Supplement), S56. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2018.04.084
- Thornton, H. (2017). Teaching Multiculturalism in an Undergraduate Dietetics Course. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 117(9, Supplement), A14. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2017.06.330
- Thornton, H., Crixell, S. H., Reat, A. M., & Von Bank, J. A. (2014). Differences in Energy and Micronutrient Intakes Among Central Texas WIC Infants and Toddlers After the Package Change. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 46(3 Suppl), 79–86.
- Thornton, H., Roncal, J., Lewis, C. E., Maschinski, J., & Francisco-Ortega, J. (2008). Conservation genetics of Jacquemontia reclinata (Convolvulaceae), an endangered species from southern Florida: Implications for restoration management. Biotropica, 40(4), 507–514.
- Kennedy, E., Thornton, H., Boekleman, E., Ganong, L., Black, J., Schimke, A., … Jobe, C. (2014). Organic Talking Points.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Service, College of Applied Arts. August 24, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State University Quarterly Team Award, Academic Affairs. August 10, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University, College of Applied Arts. August 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professors, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. April 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Runner up, Award for Excellence in Online Teaching, Texas State University. February 2016
- Thornton, Hannah (Co-Principal), Crixell, Sylvia L (Co-Principal). TEACHING AND LEARNING TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION GRANT: ADVANCING VIDEOGRAPHY INSTRUCTION IN NUTRITION, Technology Innovation Office, Texas State University, $3600. (Submitted: April 1, 2019, Funded: September 1, 2019 - Present). Grant.
- Thornton, Hannah (Co-Principal), Biediger-Friedman, Lesli (Co-Principal). Learning Communities Grant, College of Applied Arts, Texas State University, $6000.00. (Funded: August 31, 2018 - June 1, 2019). Grant.
- Johnson, Olivia Denise, Perez-Brena, Norma Judith, Hustvedt, Gwendolyn, Gray, Christine Robison, Thornton, Hannah. School of FCS Graduate Recruitment Committee, Texas State University, $5000. (Submitted: April 21, 2018, Funded: August 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018). Grant.
- Thornton, Hannah (Principal), Biediger-Friedman, Lesli (Supporting). Learning Communities Grant, College of Applied Arts, Texas State University, $5500.00. (Funded: August 31, 2017 - June 1, 2018). Grant.
- Thornton, Hannah (Principal), Biediger-Friedman, Lesli (Supporting). Diversity and Inclusion Plan One-Time Funding Request, Equity and Access Committee, Texas State University, $5000.00. (Funded: January 16, 2018 - August 2018). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Diversify Dietetics Board of Directors
August 1, 2019-Present
Graduate Recruitment Committee/GEMS
Bobcat Bounty - Texas State Student Food Pantry
Child Development Center Advisory Committee, School of FCS