Faculty Profile for Dr. Asha Latha Hegde Niezgoda
Biography and EducationAsha Hegde, Ph.D., LC, is an Associate Professor of Interior Design and Lighting Design at Texas State University, San Marcos, TX. Besides research and teaching she conducts continuing education seminars to architects and interior designers on the topic of light and color across the nation. She has a BS in Interior Design from Florida State University and a MS and Ph.D., in Human Environmental Sciences with an emphasis in lighting from Oklahoma State University. She has over 50-refereed publications and invited presentations in the field of light and color. She is the chair of the IES National Committee of ‘Lighting for Aging and Partially Sighted’.
Teaching InterestsDesign research; lighting design; sustainability; design studios which focus heavily on programming and research; building codes and standards; evidence based design.
Research Interests- Improving the qulaity of life and living of older adults in their home environment.
- Empathy in design education: Introduce and evaluate 'simulation-based learning' in design students about mobility and everyday living activities of older adults and low vision population.
- Effects of light quality (color/wavelengths) and intensity on older adults health, circadian and safety.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Hegde, A. L., Boucher, P., & Lavelle, A. (2018). How Do you Work? Understanding User Needs for Responsive Study Space Design. College & Research Libraries. Retrieved from http://crl.acrl.org/index.php/crl/article/view/16852
- Hegde, A. L., & Bishop, N. (2018). Saturation Based Color Appearance of Objects: A Comparison between Healthy Elderly, Young Adults, and Young Adults Wearing Goggles Simulating Cataract. Building and Environments, 127, 148–156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2017.11.007
- Hegde, A. L. (2017). Environmental Lighting in Nursing Homes: A Comparison of Agency Standards that Regulate Nursing Homes with Industry ANSI/IES RP-28 Lighting Standards. The International Journal of Design in Society, 12(1), 1–16. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.18848/2325-1328/CGP/v12i01/1-16
- Hegde, A. (2016). Environmental lighting in nursing homes: A comparison of agency standards that regulate nursing homes with industry ANSI/IES RP-28 lighting standards.
- Hegde, A. (2015). Understanding sensory processing disorder and their considerations in the built environment. Lighting Design and Application, 45(1), 56–60.
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2014 Technical Award, Illuminating Engineering Society of North America. July 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Featured Member of the Illuminating Engineering Society, The Illuminating Engineering Society. October 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Presentation, IDEC Southwest Regional Conference. October 2012
- Award / Honor Recipient: Certificate of Appreciation—Refereed Research Paper Reviewer, Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC). 2008
- Award / Honor Recipient: Certificate of Appreciation for Faculty Advisor, Student ASID Chapter, University of Texas at Austin. 1996
- Hegde Niezgoda, Asha Latha (Principal), Westerberg, Carmen E (Co-Principal), Martinez-Ramos, Gloria P. (Co-Principal), Ahn, Mira (Co-Principal). Effects of indoor lighting interventions on sleep, well-being, and safety in older adults living independently in public housing, Multidisciplinary Team Incentive, Texas State University, $2460. (Funded: July 2016 - Present). Grant.
- Hegde, A. (Co-Principal), Martinez, G., Westerberg, C.. Effects of indoor lighting interventions on sleep, wellbeing and safety of older adults independently living in public housing, Texas State University, Multidisciplinary Team Incentive Small Grants, $2459. (Submitted: 2016, Funded: 2017 - 2018). Grant.
- Hegde, A L. Assessment of Visual and Biological Lighting Conditions of Independently Living Elderly in San Marcos Public Housing, Texas State University, Research Enhancement Program, $8000. (Submitted: 2016, Funded: 2017 - 2018). Grant.
- Matthew, C., Hill, C., Hegde, A. L.. Burnout in the interior design profession: Implications for practice, University of Texas at Austin, School of Architecture Faculty Research and Project Support Grant, $8782. (Submitted: 2012). Grant.
- Hegde Niezgoda, Asha Latha. Infusing sustainability into lighting and studio curriculum, Texas State University, $750. (Funded: May 18, 2010 - May 19, 2010). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Student Chapter of American Society of Interior Designers (ASID)
College Research Enhancement Chair
College Review Group Representative
Family Campaign Chair
Main Street program, Heritage Tree Lighting Design Committee