Faculty Profile for Dr. Sylvia L Crixell
Biography and EducationDr. Crixell earned her MS in Biology at Texas State University in 1991 and her PhD in Biological Sciences/Nutrition at the University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Crixell is co-director of Best Food for Families, Infants, and Toddlers (Best Food FITS), a community organization dedicated to improving children's health, and a nutrition consultant for WellCats, the employee wellness program at Texas State University. Her research addresses child nutrition and adult wellness.
Research Interestsadult wellness; child obesity; child nutrition; community health
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Menge, L. D., Hu, Y., Crixell, S. L., Lloyd, L. K., Bezner, J. R., & Burke, P. J. (2018). Influences on catered event ordering in a university workplace: development and validation of the Understanding Food Ordering survey. American Journal of Health Promotion, October, 1–4. https://doi.org/10.1177/0890117118807217
- Bezner, J. R., Franklin, K., Lloyd, L. K., & Crixell, S. L. (2018). Effect of Group Behavior Change Coaching on Psychosocial Constructs Associated with Physical Activity Among University Employees. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 1–15. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/1612197X.2018.1462232
- Ullevig, S., Sosa, E., Crixell, S. L., Uc, E., Greenwald, B. M., Marceaux, S. M., & Friedman, B. (2018). Impact of home-delivered meals on nutrition status among older adults in central Texas. Journal of Nutrition Health and Aging, 7(22), 861–868. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-018-1038-0
- Crixell, S. L., Markides, B. R., Biediger-Friedman, L. M., Reat, A. M., & Bishop, N. J. (2018). Designing a WIC App to improve health behaviors: A latent class analysis. Journal of Mobile Technology in Medicine, 7(1), 7–16. https://doi.org/10.7309/jmtm.7.2.2
- Biediger-Friedman, L. M., & Crixell, S. L. (2018). Perceptions of Videos Designed to Portray Evidence-Based Feeding Practice Guidelines for Young Children. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 50(7), S151–S152. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2018.04.183
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduate College Outstanding Mentor Award 2017-2018, Graduate College Texas State University. 2017 - 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Runner-Up for Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarship, College of Applied Arts, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Runner-Up for Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, College of Applied Arts, Texas State University. 2016
- Crixell, Sylvia L (Co-Principal), Biediger-Friedman, Lesli M (Co-Principal). Chat with WIC: Innovating WIC Services with a Chatbot, Texas WIC: Texas Health and Human Services, Federal, $101000. (Funded: 2018). Grant.
- Lane, Michelle A, Crixell, Sylvia L. Diet, BFNF, and BPA Exposure as Predictors for Postpartum Behavioral Impairment in Low Income Women, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $16000. (Submitted: October 2017, Funded: January 2018 - Present). Grant.
- Biediger-Friedman, L. (Principal), Crixell, Sylvia L (Co-Principal). Video contest to improve feeding practices of low-income community infants and toddlers, Faculty REP, $13120. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Biediger-Friedman, L. (Principal), Crixell, Sylvia L (Co-Principal). Mobile Technology - Advising Online Education at TexasWIC.Org, $35000. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Bezner, J. (Principal), Lloyd, L. (Co-Principal), Crixell, Sylvia L (Co-Principal). Implementation strategies to increase physical activity among adults with osteoarthritis, Arthritis Foundation, $25000. (Funded: June 2015). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Faculty Annual Evaluation Committee (Scholarship)
Healthy City Task Force
Best Food for Families, Infants, and Toddlers (Best Food FITS!) City of San Marcos, Chapultepec Housing Center
Nutrition and Foods
Director Search/Family & Consumer Sciences