Faculty Profile for Dr. Lesli M Biediger-Friedman
Biography and EducationThe focus of Dr. Biediger-Friedman’s research includes policy, systems, and environmental approaches to explore innovative strategies to build public health nutrition infrastructure, address food security, and improve dietary practices of maternal and child populations. She is the Co-director of the Best Food FITS program described earlier and has recently served as the PI on a project with Texas WIC to explore technology and mobile app feasibility for nutrition education.
Dr. Biediger-Friedman has also conducted research with the Hays County Food Bank and the National Center for Farmworker Health, Community Action Inc., and San Marcos CISD to reduce food insecurity and to study the impact of national, state and local food policy on Hays County residents.
She trains her research teams to conduct community-based participatory research to investigate approaches to involve families and communities in interventions to improve nutritionand target obesity, food security, and evaluation of public policy. This training includes the use of focus groups, in-depth interviews, built-environment assessment, photo-voice, survey research, and analysis of qualitative and date using NVivo and Qualtrics.
Research InterestsCommunity and Public Health Nutrition
Maternal and Child Health/ Nutrition
The Built Environment
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Thornton, H., & Biediger-Friedman, L. M. (2018). Dietetic Internship as Learning Community: A Project-Based Approach to Community Nutrition Education in Dietetics. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 50(7, Supplement), S56. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2018.04.084
- Crixell, S. L., Markides, B. R., Biediger-Friedman, L. M., Reat, A. M., & Bishop, N. J. (2018). Designing a WIC App to improve health behaviors: A latent class analysis. Journal of Mobile Technology in Medicine, 7(1), 7–16. https://doi.org/10.7309/jmtm.7.2.2
- Biediger-Friedman, L. M., Monica, S., & Smith, K. S. (2018). A Focus Group Study Observing Maternal Intention to Use a WIC Education App. American Journal of Health Behavior, 42(6), 110–123. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.42.6.11
- Biediger-Friedman, L. M., & Crixell, S. L. (2018). Perceptions of Videos Designed to Portray Evidence-Based Feeding Practice Guidelines for Young Children. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 50(7), S151–S152. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2018.04.183
- Markides, B. R., Crixell, S. L., Thompson, C., & Beidiger-Friedman, L. (2017). Staff workshop improves child care center menus in south central Texas: a Best Food for Families, Infants, and Toddlers (Best Food FITS) Intervention. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 49, 435–440. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2017.02.002
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State Quarterly Team Award, The Office of The Provost. July 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: President’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Works, College of Applied Arts. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Human Sciences Graduate Scholarship, Texas Tech University. 2009
- Award / Honor Recipient: Summer Dissertation Writing Scholarship, Texas Tech University. 2009
- Award / Honor Recipient: Research Presentation Award, American Dietetic Association. 2008
- Crixell, Sylvia L (Co-Principal), Biediger-Friedman, Lesli M (Co-Principal). Chat with WIC: Innovating WIC Services with a Chatbot, Texas WIC: Texas Health and Human Services, Federal, $101000. (Funded: 2018). Grant.
- Thornton, Hannah (Co-Principal), Biediger-Friedman, Lesli (Co-Principal). Learning Communities Grant, College of Applied Arts, Texas State University, $6000.00. (Funded: August 31, 2018 - June 1, 2019). Grant.
- Thornton, Hannah (Principal), Biediger-Friedman, Lesli (Supporting). Learning Communities Grant, College of Applied Arts, Texas State University, $5500.00. (Funded: August 31, 2017 - June 1, 2018). Grant.
- Sosa, ET (Co-Principal), Biediger-Friedman, Lesli M (Co-Principal). Preschool home nutrition and physical activity environments, College of Education and Human Development, The University of Texas at San Antonio, $4000. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Biediger-Friedman, Lesli M (Principal), Sosa, ET. Por Vida healthy restaurant program evaluation, City of San Antonio, $25000. (Funded: 2010). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Big Ideas Taskforce
Nutrition Assistant / Associate Search Committee
School of Family and Consumer Sciences - Personnel Committee
February 1, 2018-Present