Faculty Profile for Dr. Edna C Alfaro
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Alfaro, E. C. (n.d.). Communication Frequency and Types of Supportive Messages: A Mixed Methods Approach to Examining Mexican-origin College Students’ Relationships with Mothers and Fathers. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education. https://doi.org/10.1177/1538192718772663
- Seo*, E., Shen, Y., & Alfaro, E. C. (n.d.). Adolescents’ beliefs about math ability and their relations to STEM career attainment: Joint consideration of race/ethnicity and gender. Journal of Youth and Adolescence. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-018-0911-9
- Streit, C., Carlo, G., Killoren, S. E., & Alfaro, E. C. (2018). Family members’ relationship qualities and prosocial behaviors in U.S. Mexican young adults: The roles of familism and ethnic identity resolution. Journal of Family Issues, 39, 1056–1084. https://doi.org/10.1177/0192513X16686134
- Jones, S., Killoren, S. E., Alfaro, E. C., & Gonzales-Backen, M. A. (2018). Mexican American college students’ experiences of discrimination: The protective role of sibling support. Emerging Adulthood, 6, 280–287. https://doi.org/10.1177/2167696817711606
- Alfaro, E. C., Weimer, A. A., & Castillo, E. (2018). Who helps build Mexican-origin college students’ self-efficacy? The role of important others in student success. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 40(4), 431–447. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739986318802588
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduating Undergraduate Student Recognition, Texas State University. 2015 - June 21, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduating Graduate Student Recognition, Texas State University. June 21, 2017
- Award / Honor Nominee: Alumni Teaching Award Nominee, Texas State University Alumni Organization. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Teaching, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. 2016
- Alfaro, Edna C (Co-Principal), Delgado (Principal). Healthy Siblings Project, School of Family and Consumer Sciences, Texas State University, $3990. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Alfaro, Edna C (Principal), Killoren (Co-Principal). Healthy Siblings Study, Faculty Research Council Award, The University of Texas – Pan American, Institutional (Higher Ed), $5000. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- Alfaro, Edna C. Summer Predoctoral Fellowship, Texas State University, $11000. (Funded: 2008). Grant.
- Alfaro, Edna C (Principal). Mexican-origin Student Success, Greater Texas Foundation, Other, $90000. (Funded: 2013 - 2017). Grant.
- Alfaro, Edna C (Principal). Mexican-origin College Students: Communication and Supportive Messages from Parents, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Funded: 2013 - 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Academic Advisory Council for the Latina/o Studies Minor
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Social and Personal Relationships
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Child and Family Studies