Faculty Profile for Dr. Omar S Lopez
Biography and EducationDr. López grew up in south Texas along the border in the Rio Grande Valley, in one of the poorest counties in the U.S. His daily observations of the effects from poverty on children and families left a definitive mark on his career decisions. Dr. López’ academic training includes the physical sciences, management, and education. This prepared him to work in different sectors as engineer, business consultant, and education policy researcher. While these occupations provided a way to make a living, his south Texas experiences gave him the passion to seek a meaningful life where his work could focus on using transdisciplinary methodologies to solve some of the thorniest problems confronting society's most vulnerable populations. The result is that his publications are diverse, having published in the fields of educational technology, economics of education, teacher education accountability, higher education sustainability, and family studies.
Teaching InterestsCivic Engagement as Global Citizenship
Research InterestsCompetency-Based Education
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Cherrstrom, C. A., Lopez, O. S., & Ashford-Hanserd, S. N. (2021). STEM knowledge in non-STEM occupations: Implications for community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, OnlineFirst. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2020.1868359
- Lopez, O. S. (2020). Yet Another Pathway to College Completion: CLEP Exams. Community College Journal of Research and Practice.
- Lopez, O. S. (2020). In the interest of the public good: Texas pre-kindergarten compulsory law. Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood.
- Lopez, O. S. (2020). Informal workplace learning. Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals: Quality Education.
- Merrill, H. S., Ashford-Hanserd, S. N., Boden, C. J., Cherrstrom, C. A., Eichler, M. A., Gibson, P. A., … Wilson, B. D. (2018). A guide to college success for post-traditional students (2nd ed.). Charlotte, NC: Information Age.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Teaching, College of Applied Arts. March 1, 2020 - September 1, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Awarded Favorite Professor from the Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of the Alpha Chi National College Honor Society, Texas State University. As noted by the graduate inductees to the Chapter, Fall 2017., Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. November 15, 2017 - December 31, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: OLC's Effective Practices Award, Online Learning Consortium. October 1, 2015
- Award / Honor Nominee: Dean Nominee for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly / Creative Activities, Texas State University. January 1, 2013 - December 1, 2013
- Sherron, T., Ashford, S. N., Cherrstrom, C. A., Lopez, O. S., Boden, C. J.. College credit for heroes (CCH) Phase VI, Texas Workforce Commission, State, $241630. (Submitted: 2017, Funded: 2017 - 2020). Grant.
- Lopez, Omar S. Wilson Latin American Grant, Institutional (Higher Ed), $500. (Funded: April 1, 2019 - Present). Grant.
- Lopez, Omar S. Learning Community Grant, Texas State University, $5000. (Funded: September 1, 2018 - May 31, 2019). Grant.
- Lopez, Omar S (Principal). Reagan High School Caminos Summer Program, Reagan High School, Other, $175735. (Submitted: 2013). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
OWLS REP Grant Representative
August 1, 2018-Present
OWLS Department New Faculty Search Committee
January 1, 2018-Present
OLC Institute Advisory Council
January 1, 2017-Present
OWLS Department Personnel Committee
September 1, 2016-Present
General Education Council
September 1, 2015-Present