Faculty Profile for Dr. Elizabeth Ashley Benavides
Biography and EducationDr. Benavides joined the Agriculture Faculty in Fall 2015 as an Assistant Professor of Animal Science. She received her Ph.D. in Animal Science from the University of Missouri, and her B.S. and M.S. from Texas A&M Kingsville. At Texas State, she is responsible for teaching courses in genetics, animal health, reproduction and the introductory animal science course.
Research InterestsDr. Benavides' research at Texas State involves the investigation and quantification of plants that may serve as novel anthelmintics (dewormers) in goats.
Dr. Benavides' is also interested in the utilization of hormone profiles to predict physiological phenotypes.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Ramirez, M., Benavides, E. A., Xie, F., & Garcia, M. R. (2017). The Role of Leptin in the Development of the Corpus Luteum. In Leptin Production, Regulation and Functions. New York, United States: Nova Science Publishers.
- Coombs, R. G., Morrish, D. G., Benavides, E. A., & Wakefield, D. B. (2017). Plickers! Rotate, raise, and Scan a Card. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA) Journal, 61.
- Lyon, S. D., Gress, S., Arce, D., Mix, K. D., & Benavides, E. A. (n.d.). Evaluation of Haemonchus contortus hatch inhibition by three plant based products.
- Katchko, R. A., Wiles, J. R., Ramirez, M. A., Ayala, L., Xie, F., O’Gorman, C. W., … Benavides, E. A. (2017). The Effect of Leptin on Luteal Angiogenic Factors in the Developing Porcine Corpus Luteum. JSM Invitro Fertilization, 2(3), 1020–1025.
- Stockwell-Goering, M. G., Benavides, E. A., Keisler, D. H., & Daniel, J. A. (2016). Impact of visual, olfactory, and auditory cues on circulating concentrations of ghrelin in wethers. Journal of Animal Science, 93(8), 3886–3890. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-9026
- Benavides, Elizabeth Ashley (Principal), Mix, Kenneth D (Co-Principal), Kerwin, Sean Michael (Co-Principal), Rohde, Rodney E (Co-Principal). Development of Novel anthelmintics and antiparasitics derived from plant sources, Institutional (Higher Ed), $30000. (Submitted: May 2017, Funded: August 1, 2017 - August 1, 2018). Grant.
- Benavides, Elizabeth Ashley (Principal), Luce, Taylor (Supporting). The effect of anthelmintic plants and their extracts on Haemonchus contortus viability in vitro and in vivo, Freeman Fellows, Texas State University, $2800. (Submitted: February 2017). Grant.
- Benavides, Elizabeth Ashley (Principal), Guney, Selin (Co-Principal). The effects of season and pre-weaning diet on pubertal development in doe kid goats, Texas State University Research Enhancement Program(REP), Texas State University. (Submitted: 2015). Grant.
- Benavides, Elizabeth A (Principal), Guney, Selin (Co-Principal). The effects of season and pre-weaning diet on pubertal development in doe kid goats, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $16000. (Submitted: October 1, 2015). Grant.