Faculty Profile for Dr. Rick Wilson
Biography and EducationDr. Wilson is an Associate Professor of Marketing where he teaches Promotional Strategy and the American Advertising Federation’s (AAF) National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC) course. He received his B.S. in Business Administration and Advertising from the University of Akron in Ohio, an M.B.A. in Business Administration from Washington University in St. Louis, and a Ph.D. in Marketing and International Business from Saint Louis University.
Before becoming a professor, Dr. Wilson worked in the fields of marketing and international business for 12 years as a senior product manager for AT&T, Vodafone Group, and TelePacific Communications. While working for Vodafone, Dr. Wilson helped to establish a new wireless venture in Hungary and spent one year working in Budapest.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Suh, T., Wilson, R. T., & On, S. T. (2020). Gender Differences in Visual Attention to Digital Content of Place-Based Advertising: A Data-Driven Scientific Approach. Electronic Commerce Research.
- Wilson, R. T. (n.d.). Out-of-Home Advertising: A Systematic Review and Research Agenda. Journal of Advertising.
- Wilson, R. T., Bright, L. F., & Richards, A. S. (2022). Privacy and Biometric Data: An Exploration of Advertising Appeals and Consumer Willingness to Share Personal Information Online.
- Wilson, R. T., Lohmeier, J., Lustick, D., & Chen, R. (2021). Using Transit Advertising to Improve Public Engagement with Social Issues. International Journal of Advertising, 40(5), 783–809.
- Wilson, R. T. (2021). Slogans and Logos as Brand Signals within Investment Promotion. Journal of Place Management and Development, 14(2), 163–179.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Advisor of the Year, Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, Texas State University, Dean of Students Office, Fraternity and Sorority Life. 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, McCoy College of Business Administration. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Advisor of the Year, Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, Texas State University, Dean of Students Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professors Recognition, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professors Recognition, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. 2018
- Wilson, Rick (Co-Principal), Zank, Gail (Co-Principal). Using Eye Tracking Technology to Understand the Consumer Processing of Product Claims in Product Consideration Context.”, McCoy Faculty Development Fund, Texas State University, $4350. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T, Baack, Daniel W, Till, Brian D. Outdoor Advertising Recall and Recognition Effects: Attention and the Distracted Driver, American Academy of Advertising, Institutional (Higher Ed), $2500. (Funded: 2009). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T. (Principal). The DNA of Consumer Collaboration: How Advertising Appeals Influence Consumer Willingness to Share Personal Information Online, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: January 2020 - May 2021). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T (Principal). The Effects of Credibility on the Processing of Advertising Claims within FDI Advertising, McCoy College of Business Research Grant Program, Texas State University, $2500. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T. (Co-Principal), Suh, Taewon (Co-Principal). Technology and Advertising: Improving Media Planning and Audience Measurement, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $15980. (Submitted: September 2014, Funded: December 2014 - November 2015). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
University Marketing Advisory Board
Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
Journal of Advertising
Advisory Group, Cool Science Advancing Informal Science Learning, National Science Foundation Research Grant
Research Committee, American Academy of Advertising