Faculty Profile for Dr. Rick Wilson
Biography and EducationDr. Wilson is an Associate Professor of Marketing where he teaches Promotional Strategy and the American Advertising Federation’s (AAF) National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC) course. He received his B.S. in Business Administration and Advertising from the University of Akron in Ohio, an M.B.A. in Business Administration from Washington University in St. Louis, and a Ph.D. in Marketing and International Business from Saint Louis University.
Before becoming a professor, Dr. Wilson worked in the fields of marketing and international business for 12 years as a senior product manager for AT&T, Vodafone Group, and TelePacific Communications. While working for Vodafone, Dr. Wilson helped to establish a new wireless venture in Hungary and spent one year working in Budapest.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Wilson, R. T., & Baack, D. W. (2020). An Exploration of Advertorials Used to Attract Foreign Direct Investment. Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 41(1), 36–53.
- Wilson, R. T., & Baack, D. W. (2020). How the Credibility of Places Affects the Processing of Advertising Claims: The Case of Investment Promotion Advertising.
- Amirshahi, M., Jafare, S., & Wilson, R. T. (2019). Untangling the Cultural Component Behind the Contextual Placement of Out-of-Home Advertising. International Journal of Market Research, 61(5), 502–517.
- Wilson, R. T., & Till, B. D. (2019). Managing Advertising in Non-Traditional Environments: A Message Processing Framework. In S. Rodgers & E. Thorson (Eds.), Advertising Theory, 2nd Edition (pp. 109–123). New York, NY: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
- Wilson, R. T. (2019). Benchmarks for Out of Home Media: Generating Insights from an Analysis of Best-in-Class Case Studies. Washington, D.C., United States: Out of Home Advertising Association of America. Retrieved from www.oaaa.org
- Award / Honor Recipient: Advisor of the Year, Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, Texas State University, Dean of Students Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professors Recognition, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professors Recognition, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Teaching, McCoy College of Business Administration. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Conference Paper, American Academy of Advertising. 2017
- Wilson, Rick (Co-Principal), Zank, Gail (Co-Principal). Using Eye Tracking Technology to Understand the Consumer Processing of Product Claims in Product Consideration Context.”, McCoy Faculty Development Fund, Texas State University, $4350. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T, Baack, Daniel W, Till, Brian D. Outdoor Advertising Recall and Recognition Effects: Attention and the Distracted Driver, American Academy of Advertising, Institutional (Higher Ed), $2500. (Funded: 2009). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T. (Principal). The DNA of Consumer Collaboration: How Advertising Appeals Influence Consumer Willingness to Share Personal Information Online, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: January 2020 - May 2021). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T (Principal). The Effects of Credibility on the Processing of Advertising Claims within FDI Advertising, McCoy College of Business Research Grant Program, Texas State University, $2500. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T. (Co-Principal), Suh, Taewon (Co-Principal). Technology and Advertising: Improving Media Planning and Audience Measurement, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $15980. (Submitted: September 2014, Funded: December 2014 - November 2015). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Journal of Advertising
Advisory Group, Cool Science Advancing Informal Science Learning, National Science Foundation Research Grant
Research Committee, American Academy of Advertising
Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching Selection Committee
Core Course Coordinator
Promotional Strategy (MKT 4330)