Faculty Profile for Dr. Nate Cannon
Biography and EducationI earned my bachelor's and master's degrees in accounting from BYU, followed by several years spent working as an auditor with KPMG. I received my Ph.D. from Bentley University in 2013 and have been at Texas State University since.
Teaching InterestsI am passionate about teaching our undergraduate and graduate auditing courses.
Research InterestsMy research interests are primarily in the areas of auditing and financial reporting. More specifically, my topical focus is on auditor judgment and decision-making, audit policy and procedures, issues surrounding the auditing and reporting of fair values, and auditing within the broker-dealer industry. My methodological approaches are diverse, including experimental/behavioral, experiential survey, and archival research methods.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Cannon, N. H., Bedard, J. C., & Schnader, A. (2019). Auditor Reporting and Regulatory Sanctions in the Broker-Dealer Industry: From Self-Regulation to PCAOB Oversight. Contemporary Accounting Research, 36(4), 2554–2587. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1111/1911-3846.12473
- Cannon, N. H., Herda, D., & Puffer, T. M. (2019). Colleagues for Life? Post-Employment Citizenship among Big 4 Alumni. Accounting Horizons, 33(3), 25–41. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.2308/acch-52422
- Herda, D. N., Cannon, N. H., & Young, R. F. (2019). Workplace Mindfulness and its Effect on Staff Auditors’ Audit Quality-Threatening Behavior. Behavioral Research in Accounting, 31, 55–64. https://doi.org/10.2308/bria-52215
- Cannon, N. H., & Bedard, J. C. (2017). Auditing Challenging Fair Value Measurements: Evidence from the Field. The Accounting Review, 92(4), 81–114. https://doi.org/10.2308/accr-51569
- Cannon, N. H., & Herda, D. (2016). Auditors’ Organizational Commitment, Burnout, and Turnover Intention: A Replication. Behavioral Research in Accounting, 28(2), 69–74. Retrieved from aaajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.2308/bria-51455
- Award / Honor Recipient: Scott Emerson Professor in Business Administration, McCoy College of Business Administration. December 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Teaching Award, McCoy College of Business Administration. August 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Gary V. Woods Research Award, McCoy College of Business Administration. August 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2017 Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, McCoy College of Business Administration. August 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Inaugural Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award, McCoy College of Business Administration. May 2017
- Cannon, Nathan H (Principal). Center for Audit Quality Research Grant, Center for Audit Quality, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $14000. (Submitted: March 2011, Funded: May 2011). Grant.
- Cannon, Nathan H (Co-Principal). PwC INQuiries Grant, PwC, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $10000. (Submitted: December 2010, Funded: March 2011). Grant.
- Cannon, Nathan Hatch. Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: December 2019 - December 2020). Grant.
- Cannon, Nathan H (Co-Principal), Herda, David (Co-Principal). Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, Texas State University, $13100. (Submitted: October 2015, Funded: December 2015 - December 2016). Grant.
- Cannon, Nathan H (Principal), Bedard, Jean C (Co-Principal), Schnader, Anne (Co-Principal). Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 8, 2013, Funded: December 12, 2013 - December 12, 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
Contemporary Accounting Research
AAA Auditing Section Education Committee
Reviewer / Referee
The Accounting Review
Refugee Services of Texas
2019-20 Faculty Search Committee
May 2019-December 2020