Faculty Profile for Dr. Steven W Rayburn II
Biography and EducationSteven Rayburn is an assistant professor of Marketing at the McCoy College of Business Administration, Texas State University. Prior to coming to Texas State University he received his doctorate in marketing at Oklahoma State University. He received both his BS in Marketing and his MBA from University of Louisville. Prior to coming to academia he enjoyed a successful career managing front-line employees in service, retail, and sales organizations.
Services Marketing and Management, Sales Management, Service Interactions, Front-Line Employee Experiences, and Consumer Constraints
Research and Publication Activities:
Dr. Rayburn’s research has been published in Journal of Business Research, Journal of Services Marketing, Services Industries Journal, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Journal of Research for Consumers, and International Review of Retail, Distribution, and Consumer Research. He has presented his research at multiple national and international marketing, sales, and public policy conferences.
Teaching InterestsServices Marketing
Research InterestsService Marketing
Transformative Service Research
Organizational Front-line Research
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Bantau, G., & Rayburn, S. W. (2016). Advanced Information Technology: Transforming Service Innovation and Design. Service Industries Journal, 36(13–14), 699–720.
- David, G. A., & Rayburn, S. W. (2019). Support and Participation in Sales Manager-Salesperson Interactions. Journal of Selling, 19(2), 21–35.
- Dávilla, J. F., Casabayó, M., & Rayburn, S. W. (2018). Religious or Secular? School Type matters as a Moderator between Media Exposure and Children’s Materialism. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 42, 779–791.
- Rayburn, S. W., Anderson, S. T., & Smith, K. H. (2018). Designing Marketing Courses based on Self-Determination Theory: Promoting Psychological Need Fulfillment and Improving Student Outcomes. Journal for Advancement of Marketing Education, 26(2), 22–32.
- Anderson, S. T., Rayburn, S. W., & Sierra, J. J. (n.d.). Future Thinking the Role of Marketing in Healthcare. European Journal of Marketing.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fulbright Specialist Award, Universidad de Piura; Lima, Peru. 2017 - 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Winning Paper – Emerald Citations of Excellence. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Robert J Olney Early Career Research Award, McCoy College of Business Administration, Texas State University. 2015 - 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: McCoy College of Business Administration Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Highly Commended Paper at Journal of Services Marketing. 2014
- Rayburn, Steven W (Principal). Understanding Service Delivery at the Base of the Pyramid, McCoy College of Business Research Grant, Texas State University, $2500. (Funded: December 2015). Grant.
- Rayburn, Steven W (Principal). Service Captivity Experiences in the NICU: A Qualitative Exploration of “Infant Parents” Medical Service Interactions and Outcomes, McCoy College of Business Research Grant, Texas State University, $1500. (Funded: December 2014). Grant.
- Rayburn, Steven W (Principal). Service Captivity Experiences in the NICU: A Qualitative Exploration of “Preemie Parents” Service Interactions and Outcomes, Research Enhancement Program Grant, Texas State University, $3360. (Funded: December 2014). Grant.
- Rayburn, Steven W. Transformative Service Research Workshop at 2017 Association for Consumer Research Latin American Conference, McCoy College Faculty Development Grant, $2055. (Funded: 2016 - 2017). Grant.
- Rayburn, Steven W. Co-Track Chair at the Second Subsistence Marketplace Immersion Conference, McCoy College of Business, Texas State University, $4000. (Funded: January 2019 - June 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal for Advancement of Marketing Education
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice
Marketing Curriculum Review Committee
#ReclaimDunbar Research-Practitioner Partnership
Bobcat Bounty Food Pantry Steering Committee