Faculty Profile for Dr. Tahir Ekin
Biography and EducationTahir Ekin is the Brandon Dee Roberts Professor and an Associate Professor of Quantitative Methods in McCoy College of Business, Texas State University. His research interests include simulation based stochastic optimization, operations research applications in territory design and resource allocation and statistical applications in medical fraud assessment. His work was published in academic journals including but not limited to Decision Analysis, Naval Research Logistics and International Statistical Review. He was the recipient of 2018 Texas State University Presidential Distinction Award in Research, 2017 McCoy College Woods Award, and ASA/NISS y-Bis 2016 Best Paper Award. He holds a Ph.D. in Decision Sciences from The George Washington University and a B.S. in Industrial Engineering from Bilkent University, Turkey. He has been a member of Institute for Operations Research and Management Science, International Society of Bayesian Analysis and currently serves as the vice president of The International Society for Business and Industrial Statistics.
Teaching InterestsBusiness Statistics, Business analytics, Data mining, Stochastic Optimization, Bayesian statistics
Research InterestsStochastic modeling, Bayesian statistics, stochastic optimization, resource allocation, health care fraud assessment , operations and portfolio management, Bayesian data mining, simulation
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Zafari, B., & Ekin, T. (n.d.). Topic Modelling for Medical Prescription Fraud and Abuse Detection. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C.
- Ekin, T. (n.d.). Statistics and Health Care Fraud: How to Save Billions. ASA-CRC Series on Statistical Reasoning in Science and Society.
- Ekin, T. (2019). An Integrated Decision-making Framework for Medical Audit Sampling. Proceedings of the 52nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS52).
- Ekin, T., Lakomski, G., & Musal, R. (n.d.). An Unsupervised Bayesian Hierarchical Method for Medical Fraud Assessment. Statistical Analysis and Data Mining.
- Musal, R., & Ekin, T. (2018). Information Theoretic Multi-Stage Sampling Framework for Medical Audits. Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry, 34, 893--907.
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2018 Texas State University Presidential Distinction Award in Scholar/Creative Activities, Texas State University. August 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Roberts Excellence Professorship, Texas State University McCoy College. 2015 - 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Texas State University Presidential Excellence in Scholar/Creative Activities, Texas State University. February 2018 - June 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Gary Woods Award, Texas State University McCoy College. August 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2016 y-Bis Best Paper Award, International Society of Industrial and Business Statistics (ISBIS), American Statistical Association and US National Institute of Statistical Sciences. June 2016
- Feng, Li (Supporting), Chen, Xiao (Principal), Ekin, Tahir (Supporting), Musal, Rasim (Supporting). Enabling and Improving Data-Driven Research at Texas State University, National Science Foundation, Federal, $499896.00. (Funded: October 1, 2014 - September 30, 2017). Grant.
- Ekin, Tahir (Principal). New Faculty Startup Fund, Texas State University Library, Texas State University, $700. (Submitted: September 20, 2012, Funded: October 2012). Grant.
- Ekin, Tahir (Principal). Structural Topic Model based Prescription Fraud and Abuse Detection, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2017, Funded: January 2018 - May 2019). Grant.
- Ekin, Tahir. McCoy Faculty Development Fund, McCoy College, Texas State University, $2185. (Submitted: September 2016, Funded: December 2016 - September 2017). Grant.
- Ekin, Tahir. Stochastic Call Center Staffing with Uncertain Arrival, Service and Abandonment Rates, Texas State University Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2015, Funded: December 2015 - May 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Texas State University McCoy College of Business Endowed Professorship Committee
Reviewer / Referee
Naval Research Logistics
Reviewer / Referee
Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry
Reviewer / Referee
AMMCS-2017 Conference Proceedings
Associate Doctoral Faculty
Texas State University Material Science, Engineering Commercialization (MSEC) Doctoral Program